The University of Texas M. D. Anderson Cancer Center in Houston, designated a comprehensive cancer center by the National Cancer Institute, employs more than 15,000 people. The institution has experienced substantial growth since 2000, with facilities that include a 475-bed in-patient pavilion, an advanced-technology Proton Therapy Center, a Research Medical Library, several basic and clinical research buildings, outpatient clinic buildings and a patient-family hotel.
M. D. Anderson wanted to standardize and automate its in-person, cash-receipting system to provide improved efficiencies, greater internal controls and real-time management reporting. Through a competitive bid process, M. D. Anderson determined that CORE’s applications were more user-friendly and functional than those of other vendors. With due diligence, it determined that CORE had a successful track record over many years of delivering a quality product to their clients and engaged the company to upgrade its cashiering software.
CORE installed a comprehensive revenue management solution for over 325 M. D. Anderson “end-users” such as clinical supervisors and patient specialists. CORE provided application design consulting, system customization, design of the interface to the center’s financial and patient ID and account systems, as well as installation, implementation, training, support and maintenance. M. D. Anderson utilizes CORE’s application for processing patient payments, with the ability to:
- Accept patient account payments, patient co-payments, and department cash collection “turn-ins” for pharmacies, gift shops, valet parking, cafeteria and coffee kiosks.
- Perform account, bad-debt and returned-check inquiries.
- Image and store insurance cards, checks and other documents for internal controls and research purposes.
- Interface and automate transaction postings with the patient billings and general accounting systems.
- Sustain business continuity in the event of network disruptions.
CORE delivered a product that M. D. Anderson’s users rate as 97 percent “improved” or “much improved” from previous collection processes. CORE worked to accommodate M. D. Anderson’s unique business rules and designed interfaces to its multiple patient billing systems. Now, with CORE, M. D. Anderson has maximized automation to achieve its goal of a highly efficient patient collection process.
Noteworthy benefits from the CORE installation include:
- The daily patient appointment schedule with corresponding co-pay amounts were integrated into the software for ease of use and reduced input errors.
- Qualitatively, patients receive a standard, controlled receipt format that is acceptable to the Internal Revenue Service, medical savings account and medical flexible spending account reimbursements and documentation.
- The software’s functionality and security profiles have improved discipline and control over high volume receipting and posting, the end-of-day closeout process and the audit trail, thus allowing management to have better reporting tools and stronger accountability.